7 Effective Tips to Get More Out of Social Media Optimization
The concept of Social Media Optimization (SMO) is often mixed up with the idea of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Though the main focus of both processes is to drive traffic, they are very much different from each other.
SMO helps generate results from your social network. With a proper social media optimization strategy in place, you can increase your brand’s visibility and engagement.
While SEO is a broader set of strategies for increased visibility of your search results, SMO is a subset of it.
In simple words: SEO = Exposure, SMO = Buzz.
Recent surveys pointed out that 43% of consumers between age 16-24 and 38% of users between age 25-34 use social media to research a product.
What is Social Media Optimization?
The process of enhancing your online presence and reputation by making use of social platforms is social media optimization.
SMO is not just setting up profiles on social platforms where your audience is. It is about strategically creating your social media marketing plan to drive referral traffic to your website and get higher visibility on search engine ranking pages (SERP).
With social media optimization, you’ll be able to:
- build an online identity for your brand
- reach out to a wider audience
- increase referral traffic for your website
- generate more leads
Social Media Optimization Advantages & Disadvantages
With every new algorithm update, the differences between Search Engine Optimization(SEO) and Social Media Optimization (SMO) are getting blurred. Social media optimization works as a catalyst for your SEO efforts.
There has been an ongoing discussion on social media optimization advantages and disadvantages. We don’t think that there are any disadvantages of SMO if you’re doing it correctly.
Here are some of the most important advantages of social media optimization –
- Brand Identity – SMO can effectively create awareness about the brand using various social platforms in a strategized way.
- Search Engine Ranking – It can help you build a network of strong backlinks from high-DA sites. This will directly impact your search engine visibility.
- Quick Turnaround – Through SMO, your brand can get recognition within no time. Everything happens quickly on social media. And, SMO can help you leverage on it.
- Targeting specific groups – SMO assists you to target specific groups and individuals. You can decide which platforms are best suited to your goals.
- Cost-Effective – SMO is pocket-friendly! You don’t need to invest huge amounts to promote products and services. SMO allows you to make better use of your Ads budget.
Social Media Optimization Strategy
Social media is an indispensable part of your online marketing efforts. But to get results, you have to optimize your social profiles and content.
This is where social media optimization strategy comes into the picture. You need an SMO strategy to carve your way ahead of the competition.
Every business needs a holistic social media optimization strategy to stay relevant. An optimized approach allows you to build engagement and loyalty, which further impacts the word of mouth referral rate.
Here are 3 things you need to consider when building a Social Media Optimization strategy –
Know What You’re Doing
The first step is to list down your objectives. Then, understand who your target audience is, which are their go-to platforms, and what content they engage with.
You need to be clear about what you want from your social media marketing efforts. This will help you focus on what’s important and set a unified brand voice in place.
Make Your Choices
Next, you need to select the social platforms that suit your end goals. You already know where your target audience is, so this should be fairly easy to figure out.
The same goes for your content plan. You can either stick to a niche, build content, and own it! Or, you can share existing resources for your audience. Decide if you want to keep the same brand voice for all platforms or adapt as needed.
The choice rests on you.
Make Your Presence Felt
One of the most important aspects of social media marketing is being consistent. And, you can’t risk publishing/sharing irrelevant content.
Planning ahead is important. Map out the best times to post on individual platforms and stick to the schedule.
This is the part where you build a content calendar from the data collected from the above steps. Engage with the community and share useful resources to stay relevant, engaging, and consistent.
Social Media Optimization Tips
There are no shortcuts to establish authority and presence via social media. It takes time, effort, and consistency.
But, you can surely make use of the below social media optimization tips to boost your online presence.
- Integrate social media into your website. Interconnect your social profiles to build a strong network of links.
- Keep brand’s Name, Address, Phone (NAP) the same for all your profiles.
- Use SEO keywords when filling up info in your profile’s About Us, Services, and other sections.
- Use keywords and hashtags in your posts.
- Don’t try to sell on social media. Use it to build relationships with prospects.
- Be consistent. Define a brand voice, social logo, fonts, and colors. Branded content drives engagement.
- Be responsive. Make sure that you respond to every comment and/or mention. Let the community know your presence.
Read more social media tips for growing your business.
Social media optimization is one of the greatest assets to boost your website’s visibility organically.
If someone wants to know about your business or service, they would probably make a decision by checking your activity on social media. Thus, your brand image is important to the success of your business.
Follow the steps and tips listed above and you’ll see massive growth in engagement and reach.
Need help figuring if you really need social media optimization for your business? Get in touch and we’ll ensure that your business grows exponentially.