Graphic Design Doesn’t Have To Be Hard. Read These 5 Awesome Tips
Graphic design is indispensable to marketing – be it online or offline. But, not many businesses understand their importance.
From your website to flyers and social media ads, graphic design is a part of everything. But, what exactly is graphic designing? And, how does it impact your brand’s online presence?
In this article, we will let you know how important graphic designing is, and how you can use it to amplify your brand’s reach while engaging users with your content.
What’s Graphic Design?
Graphic design is the art of creating visual content for the exchange of messages. Using the techniques of visual hierarchy and page layout, designers use typography and contextual images to satisfy the specific needs of users and concentrate on the essence of presenting elements in interactive models to improve user experience.
What if you wanted to buy a pair of shoes, but the website doesn’t have images of the shoe, will you buy the product based on the textual description provided?
No, right? See, that is why graphic design is so important. Visual elements are what catches our attention and attract us.
Graphic designing has multiple types to it. Though there is an overlap between multiple forms, they all serve their purposes. Here’s a quick run-down of the three different types that are required for every business-
- Branding – this type of design is aimed at building the brand identity. It consists of a logo, brand colors & typography, visiting cards, letterheads, envelopes, and style guides.
- Marketing – used to create marketing and advertising collateral for print, digital, and offline modes. This type of design is heavily used in content and social media marketing. It includes flyers, brochures, infographics, posters, banners, and other similar things.
- UI Design – this design form focuses on providing the best visual experience to users. It consists of designing on-screen elements like buttons, tap-targets, navigation menus. This is used in website and app designing.
Why Graphic Design is Important?
It’s visual communication. Everything that can’t be described effectively via text needs to be put into some form to get your message across. And, what’s better than a graphic communicating your voice to millions?
Listed below are some reasons why graphic designing is crucial for your business –
- Effective designs help create a strong first impression for your brand.
- It helps build a brand identity on all digital and offline platforms.
- Graphics can help your business differentiate itself from the crowd.
- Businesses can deliver their message in the form of reports, charts, illustrations, and infographics.
- Graphics are engaging and users prefer to share them more than text-based content.
Graphic Design Tips to Stand Out from the Crowd
The overall brand identity of your company begins with a great logo, spreading to every aspect of your business. The layout should approach the audience in a practical, attractive and professional manner.
Your brand must immediately link to the outstanding products and services you are providing, and you need an excellent graphic design to create such a connection.
Yes, a professional touch is required. But, here are 5 awesome tips to help you get started on your own –
- Define your Brand colors – it is important to decide on what colors will be representing your brand. Colors play an important role (ever noticed why food-related businesses mostly use Red and Yellow? Because both these colors stimulate hunger). Use this color psychology guide to get started.
- Design keeping in mind your users – any new prospect will most probably research your brand online before making a purchase. Your designs should solve the customer’s problems. Don’t go overboard with whimsical tones and fonts. A good idea is to research existing websites in the same niche.
- Personalize your designs – as a brand, you need to tell a story to connect with the target audience. The colors, fonts, logo -everything has to be interconnected and voice your brand’s story.
- Be consistent – you might have heard this one a lot. Being consistent is one of the most important things to stay relevant and in trend. Stick to the branding guidelines for every graphic you design.
- Keep up to date with trends – designing is something that isn’t static. What was trending yesterday might not be the same tomorrow. Keeping yourself updated on graphic design trends will help you stand out without investing thousands of dollars.
Graphic Design Software
There is so much software out there, it gets overwhelming at times. Adobe still tops the chart (but, it is expensive). So, here are some cost-effective (and freemium) software that you can use for your business –
Canva is a favorite tool for most small and medium businesses. Even pro-level designers use it. The best part of Canva is that you don’t need any designing skills.
The drag-and-drop interface makes it easy for everyone to create stunning designs.
If Adobe Photoshop seems costly and difficult to master, try out this awesome open-source software called Paint.NET. It is a great tool for small and medium businesses willing to get their designs done by themselves.
It comes loaded with major features like layering, image resizing, effects, cloning, and much more.
Need vector designs? An SVG file? Inkscape has your back! This is another open-source software that works on any OS. It has all the tools you need for creating mind-blowing vector graphics.
It provides everything for FREE and you can also download hundreds of free extensions and plugins to work at ease.
We need graphic design to convey messages clearly and effectively. Ignoring the graphic design needs of your company can have a negative impact on consumers, suppliers and employees. Using a suitable design can improve every aspect of your business.
Consider the 5 tips for effective designing that we have shared above. And, start slow by using free online and offline software. Finally, you need to understand that graphic designing is a skill and you will need to practice to be good at it.
If you’re looking for professional assistance or details of other software that you can use, let us know in the comments and we’ll be happy to help you out.