3 Steps to a Successful Google Ads Campaign
Businesses allocate most of their budget to online advertising these days. They run ads on multiple platforms like Facebook, Google Ads, and YouTube hoping to receive leads and queries. Some campaigns yield results, some don’t – which is acceptable.
There are so many ad-based platforms to choose from, and each platform has its pros and cons.
However, we will be talking specifically about the Google Ads platform in this article. Keep reading to get a quick overview of what it is, how it helps, and how to set up your first ad campaign.
Google Ads that start with buying keywords receive more than 65% of total clicks. And, that’s the reason every business prefers to use it for lead generation.
Google has its digital marketing course for Ads, which is enough to get you started. But, to get higher returns on investment, you will need an in-depth training.Investing in Google Ads is a direct investment for businesses! Though the interface is easy to use (once you’re accustomed to it), yet there are numerous intricacies that one needs to take care of so they don’t overspend.
What are Google Ads?
Google’s online advertising platform allows you to target ads to relevant customers by allowing you to bid on certain keywords that users type in Google’s search bar.
There are multiple formats and features of Google Ads which you can use to reach potential customers. It allows you to add an effective Call-To-Action (CTA) to help users take action.
You have the flexibility to choose who sees your ad by specifying languages and locations. You can also control the timings when you wish to show your ads.
And, to top it all, you pay only when someone interacts with your ad!
Sounds awesome, isn’t it?
Well, it is! But, to get the most out of Google Ads, you need to get used to the platform. You need to understand how SEO works, how keyword research is done, and much more.
Types of Google Ads
One of the biggest benefits of using Google Ads is the flexibility of promoting to users within a few kilometers of your business or to go all-guns-blazing.
Google Ads allows you to control your budget, preview and tweak ads to your liking, and ample customization features.
There are 4 types of ads that you can run –
- Search Ads – text-based ads that appear on top of organic results when a user search matches your keyword.
- Display Ads – graphics-based ads that can be used to reach customers via apps and on the web.
- Video Ads – get additional customization in terms of displaying and managing your ads. With video ads, you can choose the audience who you want to see the ads. You are only billed when they see your ad.
- App Ads – if you have an Android or iOS app, you can use the App Ads feature to promote it to billions of people across Google’s network. You can use the custom call-to-action (CTA) feature to decide what actions your prospects can take.
Setting Up Your Google Ads Campaign
Ad account structure is important for the success of your campaigns. When you organize your account, it gets easier to create quality ads.
An Ad account should be split into 3 parts – account > campaign > ad groups. You can create multiple campaigns. And, for each campaign, you create different ad groups.
Each Ad group consists of Ad text and Keywords which is unique to the campaign. Having a structured account helps you add/edit campaigns easily.
Starting a New Campaign
When you start a new campaign, Google asks you to choose your goal for the campaign (leads is the most commonly chosen option, but you can choose from the rest as well). Or, you can create a campaign without a goal!Next, you need to select the campaign type. (We will work with search ads as an example for this article).
Steps to Perform after Selecting Search Ads
- Choose how you want to track conversions. You can choose between traffic and calls, or both.
- Define the target audience for your campaign. Name your campaign and uncheck the box that says “Include Google Display Network.”
- Pick the location you want to target through the campaign. You can either select from the custom options, type in an exact location or make use of the Advanced Search feature.
- Set the budget, and select the preferred delivery method. You can select from Standard or Accelerated delivery methods.
- Define your bidding strategy. Google Ads offers you several strategies that help you utilize your budget to the fullest. But, for starters, focus on the manual cost per acquisition.
- Add ad extensions to give out more information to potential customers.
Google Ads Keyword Research & Ad Sets
A group of selected keywords that you would like to use for the ads is defined as ad sets. For example, your business offers garage door repairs and installation services. Hence, garage door repair and garage door installation will be two different ad sets.
The next step involves Google Ads keyword research. Google’s Keyword Planner is one of the best available tools that you can use to find and filter out the most relevant keywords for your campaign.
Once you open Keyword Planner, you will see two options – find new keywords, and get search volume & forecasts. Click on the first option and type in the primary keyword for your ad.
On hitting Enter, you will be provided with a detailed list of relevant keywords, search volume, cost-per-click (CPC), and a few other important information.
Keep in mind that selecting the perfect keywords is pivotal to the overall success of your ad.Yasza Media
Google Ads: Keyword Research Basics
When performing Google Ads keyword research, think from the user’s perspective and research all possible queries. Earlier, Google used to only target broad match keywords, but they have made some awesome upgrades to the Ad platform.
There are 4 main keyword match categories that you can use to select and match your keywords –
- Broad Match
- Exact Match
- Phrase Match
- Broad Match Modifiers
Google Ads professionals recommend that one should use phrase, exact, and broad match modified versions of the selected keyword for best results.
Add as many keywords as you need for each ad set. Then, move on to the final step – building the ad.
Create at least 2 headlines for the ad campaign. Please keep in mind that the total characters for each headline shouldn’t exceed 30 characters.
You should make sure to include the most important keywords in the headline. Once you are done creating the headline, move on to write a short description of your ad.
Your short description shouldn’t exceed 80 characters. Plus, try to come up with an insightful description, use keywords, and power words.
That’s it! You have successfully created your first ad.
- TikTok Ads for Business | Captivate Users with Epic Ads in 2020
- Earth Hour 2020 | Making the World Better One Step at a Time
- Ecotourism | Exclusive Tips for a 100% Sustainable Brand Theme
- Hospitality Customer Service 101 | Exclusive Tips on Building an Enviable Brand Identity
- TikTok – Amazing New Platform for Massive Growth in 2020 and Beyond
Google Ads works for every business type. However, to get the most out of it, you need to have an elementary knowledge of keywords and copywriting.
To get the most out of your investment, you should either develop your skills or seek professional assistance.
Follow the steps listed above and you’ll be able to set up a successful campaign. Creating a perfect ad is as much a science as it an art. And, if you’re interested in learning these skills, feel free to connect with us.